The SEDIN value chains (VC) development goal is to contribute towards improved market systems and business environments for various actors in the value chains it operates in It aims at strengthening actors and institutions capacities, interlinkages, business relationships as well as access to market resources and opportunities. To achieve this goal, our strategy is based on the ValueLinks approach, a tried and tested methodology for value chain development.
We support value chains development in the following sectors:
- Cassava sector in Ogun State
- Potatoes sector in Plateau State
- Rice sector in Niger State
- Affordable Housing sector in FCT, Niger, Ogun and Plateau State
- Tomato, pepper and chili in Kaduna, Kano, Plateau, Ogun and Oyo State
- Ginger in Kaduna and Plateau State
- Leather and garment in Abia, Kano, Lagos and Ogun State
To improve the coordination between value chain actors to increase the supply of cassava from farmers to processors. This will ensure the right raw material is delivered to processing plants in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
To support the actors, dissemination and adoption of improved technologies for cassava production and processing in the value chain.
Ministry of Agriculture, Ogun State
Cassava Revolution programme
All farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN)
Nigeria Cassava Growers Association (NCGA)
Mokk Investment Limited
National Cassava Processors and Marketers Association
IITA (International Institute of Tropical Agriculture)
FIIRO (Federal Institute of Industrial Research)
Saro Agro Science
TOOAN (Tractors Owner and operator Association Nigeria
Capacity Building and Training
- Group formation and organisational development
- Rapid Stem Multiplication
- GAP (Good Agronomic Practice)
- Sustainable Agricultural practice (SAC)
- Farmer Business School (FBS)
- Entrepreneurship training
- Weed management control and safe use of herbicides
- Strengthening capacity of processors to guarantee quality and regular supply of finished cassava products
- HQCP (High quality cassava peel).
Strengthening Supply Chain Management of Cassava Factories
- Advocacy for the provision of rural infrastructures (through state/ LG’s interventions)
- Clustered farmers group around processors for better coordination
- Sensitized actors on contract farming and encouraged signing of MoU so as to ensure guaranteed supply of raw materials.
Promote Quality Management and Effective Fiscal Policy Advocacy
- Organised Innovative Stakeholders Platform/Forums/Meetings
- Adequate monitoring of all processors/farmers on quality assurance, standards and best practices
- Conducted surveys to assess the current status of cassava VC in the state
- Advocated for single digit interest rate (BoA, BoI, commercial banks, etc.) on credit to farmers, processors and relevant cassava stakeholders in a timely manner.
To facilitate increase in yield and income of small holder Producers.
To support access to improve Potato seeds and market linkages and opportunities.
Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD)
Nigerian Agricultural Seed Council (NASC)
National Root Crop Research Institute (NRCRI)
Plateau State Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development
Plateau Agricultural Development Program (PADP)
Plateau Potato Value Chain Program (AFDB Funded)
Agricultural Services and Training Centre (ASTC)
Solanum Potatoes & Vegetables Producers & Marketers Enterprise
Potato Traders & Marketers Association
Fruits & Veggies Global Limited
Netherlands Embassy Nigeria
Lovely Potato Crisps
Rubetec Nigeria Limited
- Group Development and Strengthening for farmer Groups/Cooperatives
- Good Agricultural Practices in Potato Production and Storage (GAP)
- Farmer Business School (FBS)
- Safe use of Crop Protection Gang Sprayers Training
- Soil TestinG
Institutional Strengthening of Solanum Enterprise
- Group Development & Strengthening ToT for farmers Representatives
- Farmers Topic Days at Local Government Areas
- Soil Testing ToT
- Farmer Business School ToT
- Solar Irrigation Installation & Maintainace Training
- Positive Potato Seed Selection ToT
Establishing & Strengthening Market Linkages
- Fruits & Veggies
- Agra Innovate (Trade Fairs)
- Agricultural Fresh Produce Growers & Exporters Association of Nigeria (AFGEAN)
Strengthening quality Management systems in Potato / Seed Production
- Seed Sprouting & Positive Selection Training for farmers Cooperatives.
To strengthen the capacity of farmer groups, institutions and service providers of agricultural mechanization for effective service delivery.
To facilitate conducive business environment, market linkages and access of rice producers to agricultural Mechanization services, finance and inputs.
Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN)
Tractor Operators Owners Association of Nigeria (TOOAN)
Tractor Operators and Hiring Facilities Association of Nigeria (TOHFAN)
Machine and Equipment Corporation Africa (MECA)
Agricultural Mechanization Equipment Fabricators Association of Nigeria (AMEFAN)
Nigeria Automobile Association of Nigeria (NATA)
Niger Rice Advocacy Group
Chinige Technological services
Bank of Industry (BoI)
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
Nigeria Incentive-based Risk Sharing on Agricultural Lending (NIRSAL)
Haynes worth International Nigeria Limited
Business Development Service providers (BDSPs)
Niger State Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development
Federal Ministry of agric, & Rural Development
National Cereals Research Institute (NCRI)
National Centre for Agricultural Mechanization (NCAM)
Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON)
Niger State agric. Mechanization development agency
Facilitating Technical and Business Skills Development Training
- Group formation and development
- GAP Trainings
- Best practices on rice processing
- Financial Literacy
- Basic Financial Management
- SME Business Training and Coaching Loop
- Fabrication of improved agricultural equipment
- Power tiller operations and maintenance
- Support the participation of VC actors at local and relevant national conferences and stakeholders’ fora.
Facilitating Market Linkages
- Annual agricultural Equipment and Machinery trade show
- Farmers field day events
- Facilitate VC actor’s coordination through Stakeholders fora
- Advisory services
Facilitating Access to finance and Inputs
- Linking FGs and SPOs to partners banks through B2B events
- Work with BDSPs to facilitate business plan development for FGs SPOs
- Facilitating agro input loan for FGs in collaboration with banks and agro input companies
- Assisting FGs and SPOs to access BoI agric. mechanization support fund
Policy and Institutionalisation
- Support the Development and Strengthening of umbrella associations
- Use of Public Private Dialogues to address business enabling environment issue
Facilitating strengthening of conducive business environment
- Develop business models that facilitate the competitive provision of agricultural mechanization services within the rice producing clusters.
- Partnering with BoI on agric. mechanization support fund for FGs and SPOs
- Develop financial models that enable small farmers and SPOs to access soft loan from banks that assist them in acquiring agricultural equipment and machinery for individual useage and for rental to other farmers through the operation of commercially viable hire services.
- Facilitating agric equipment and machinery hiring and maintenance centres within the rice producing clusters
To facilitate affordable housing development by creating an enabling environment, building capacity, and linkages in the value chain thereby giving rise to economic empowerment and narrowing the huge housing supply deficit.
Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing
Millard Fuller Foundation
Ogun State Housing Corporation
Plateau State Ministry of Lands, Survey and Town Planning (MLSTP)
Plateau State Ministry of Urban Development
Plateau State Ministry of Housing
Jos Metropolitan Development Board (JMDB)
Plateau Investment and Property Company (PIPC)
Niger State Geographic Information System (NGIS)
Niger State Ministry of Lands and Housing
Niger State Housing Corporation
Nigeria Resilient Cities Network (NRCN)
- Business Coaching for Artisans from the Millard Fuller Foundation
- Co-organized the National Affordable Housing Summit 2016 which led to the development of the National Housing Programme.
- Supported and participated in the activities of the Technical Working Group (TWG), National Real Estate Data Collation & Management Programme (NRE-DCMP). A Programme that also resulted from the National Affordable Housing Summit 2016.
- The 4P Urban Governance Project tagged as “UnSlumming Minna”. An urban development project aimed at providing a policy template for reducing the spread of slum settlements in Niger State.
- Housing Sector Stakeholders’ Summit for Ogun and Plateau states – The Summit aimed at developing an “Action Plan” for affordable housing in both States.
- Study tour for Public Officials to the Nigerian Building, Road and Research Institute (NBRRI) Headquarters, Polystyrene Industries Limited, Jabi, Abuja and Fuller Housing Projects, Masaka, Nassarawa State; to understudy some innovative building techniques that have emerged due to economic reasons.
- Market Platform for Affordable Housing (MP4AH) to foster a market driven development of housing.
- Supported the Job Centre Initiative by Shelter Watch, to re-train and provide job opportunities for artisans in the construction sector, mainly in Ogun and Plateau states.
- Compressed Stabilized Earth Bricks (CSEB) Trainings and Advocacy targeted at creating an economy around this readily available alternative building material (earth bricks).
The focus here is on processing and preservation. This includes production of tomato paste and sauces, drying and canning of tomatoes and chillies, making chilli oil as well as other end-consumer products.
Farmer Business Schools
Promote Networks and Partnerships
- linking major large-scale processors with small-scale tomato farmers
Capacity Building and Training
- empowering cooperatives and communities to forge lasting and fair business relationships in outgrowing and contract farming schemes
- mproving quality and productivity through entrepreneurial skills development with Farmer Business Schools (FBS) and Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) trainings
- support the introduction of innovative technologies for artisanal and small-scale processing
The project is focusing its support to this value chain on improving productivity through mechanisation and improvement of seed rhizomes, good agricultural practices and entrepreneurial skills development to increase yields and quality of processed ginger products for export.
medium-sized amalgamators and exporters
- ensuring higher quality of dried ginger for exports
- introduction of technology including machines for soil preparation and harvesting as well as improved tools and machines for cutting and drying
- introduction of technology to produce other further processed consumer products such as ginger cake, ginger oleoresin (oil) and drinks
- assistance to move up in the value chain and gain more direct market access
The focus for leather and garment value chain is placed on high-quality leather goods (FLG) and garments. The programme will also focus on improving market linkages and supporting the development of domestic brands within the leather and garments clusters, giving attention to African prints and designs.
leather artisans and clusters
African prints makers
- entrepreneurial training and coaching for MSMEs and clusters in the sectors
- improve the knowledge and ability to manufacture leather goods and garments with emphasis on rapid customization, mechanization, division of tasks, production at scale as well as assurance of uniform quality